Friday, December 30, 2011

Review for One for the Money

One for the Money
Author: Janet Evanovich
Pages: 290
Source: Checked-out from the Library

Summery (from GoodReads)
Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash--fast--but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family.

Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. Neither does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water--wanted for murder.

Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight--and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man.


The Good
Gee whiz, I’ve NEVER laughed so much in a book. This was freakin’ HILARIOUS!!! I first heard about this series when I saw the trailer for the movie. It comes out January 27th (two days after my b-day!) and looks just as hilarious as the book. I can’t wait to see it!

I loved the first person commentary in this book and I couldn’t stop smiling whenever the two main characters were together (Stephanie and Morelli). What’s also great is that even through all the humor it felt very real. Going from a lingerie buyer to bounty hunter sounds fun but it’s scary and Evanovich really brings that out. This book had me laughing and freaked out that someone was going to break into my house (well, my parents’ house); I left the TV running all night. This book also has so many memorable quotes that I could fill a book (or just buy a copy which I plan to do anyway.lol)

The Characters were also amazing. Stephanie is a girl from the “burg”. She’s got attitude, wit, and is naive enough to be pretty stubborn and not give up when she’s in over her head. Morelli is a great counterpart to her. I love the way they play off each other, and can’t stop smiling whenever their together even when their ready to kill each other... actually especially then. I love the stories where the main character and obvious love interest is always at each other’s throats; a lot more interesting that way.

The mystery part of the book was good as well. I can never guess the “who-done-it” in mystery books and this time was no exception. The villains had me thoroughly creeped out and I felt Stephanie’s terror as she sat at home listening to incredibly creepy phone calls. But in the height of the terror she was still able to keep some sense of cool which was awesome. I can’t wait to read more of this new bounty hunter.

The Bad
I really don’t have anything bad to say about this is was a plain and simple fun, smart, read. I didn’t get a tad squirmy with some of the sexual references but the language they used kinda off set it a bit so it wasn’t that bad. Since this is an adult book I really wouldn’t recommend it for young readers but to everyone else I HIGHLY recommend it!

The Krazyness
I figured I’d leave you with some quotes from the book. They still make me smile ^_^

“In my opinion, the only good spider is a dead spider, and women's rights aren't worth d*** if they mean I can't ask a man to do my bug squashing.”

“I want to see your tailpipe fading off into the sunset."
Good luck, I thought. My tailpipe was somewhere on Route 1, along with my muffler.

“You deserved to get run over. And besides, I barely tapped you. The only reason you broke your leg was because you panicked and tripped over your own feet.”

Moral of the Story
Don’t run over people with your parents car. It’s not a good thing.

5 Elf Cookies

1 comment:

  1. I need to read this book! I want to try and get to it before the movie comes out!

    ReplyDelete