Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review of 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf


8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf
Author: Michael Mullin
Genre: Fairy-Tale Retelling (in verse)
Source: Review Copy

Summery from GoodReads…
Written in verse, this is the previously untold story of the previously unknown 8th dwarf, named Creepy. He is banished to the basement for being different and, well, weird. Yet he plays a vital - and of course previously unknown - role in the popular tale of Snow White – whose title character is an intruder Creepy refers to as "the Maid". (Intended for YA readers and up.)


So school is kicking my butt and it's getting harder to read but I'm trying. I should have a few other reviews coming soon. Happy March 1st everyone!
 
The Good
Let me start off by saying that I thought this was a very well done retelling of Snow White. Though my friends can tell you I’m not a big fan of poetry but I simply LOVED how it was written in verse. I think it worked perfectly for what the author was going for; the sound of the story is very fairy-tale[ish] (though not for young children.) The end rhymes were written in an aabbccdd style though the rhyming didn’t overpower the story which was nice.

OK, so my friend had put it into my head about a year ago that the dwarves in Snow White were just creepy old men who let a young girl stay with them… I was horrified.lol But when I started reading this and found out that the eighth dwarf’s name was Creepy I just started busting up. At times he did fit the description of a dirty old dwarf but it was told in a funny way that I had no problem with it. Without giving spoilers away I will say that there were a few parts that really surprised me, it wasn’t all predictable and stuff. I was actually like: “OMG?!” (No, I don’t actually say O-M-G out loud.)

The Bad
Well, like the original fairy-tale’s this was short (which also worked well for it) so there’s really not much for me to critique. The one thing that got me while reading this was that on occasion the language kinda caught me up and disrupted the flow of the verse a bit; a word or sentence here and there seemed a tad out of place and seemed a bit abrupt.

The Krazyness
Q.       As fairy-tale remakes go what is your favorite?
A.       Right now it’s probably Sweetly by Jackson Pearce.


 3 Elf Cookies

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this book, but it's weird that you bring it up, because I've been watching the show Once Upon a Time recently, and a few episodes ago they brought in an eighth dwarf as well! His name wasn't Creepy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, thats awesome. I'm three episode behind in Once Upon a Time but I love that show. Fairy tales are coming back!

      Delete