Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review for Clockwork Angel

Wow, eleven followers! I’m jumping up and down like a krazy person… or elf =) Hope you all had a great Christmas and are enjoying the last week of 2011! In the Krazy Elf world Santa brought me a Hunger Games wristband and Blood Red Road! Awesomeness! What did he bring you?


 Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Steampunkish/Paranormalish
Page: 478

After crossing the ocean to find her brother, 16-year-old Tessa lands London (during the time of Queen Victoria) and into a heap of trouble. Instead of being reunited with her brother she is kidnapped by a couple of Downworlders called the Dark Sisters. Downworlders, Tessa soon finds out, are supernatural creatures she never imagined were real (vampires, warlocks, faeries, werewolves ect.) and that she was one of them.

She is saved by a group called the Shadowhunters, a group dedicated to upholding supernatural law and keeping peace. With them she learns more about the Downworld she is a part of, acquires help in finding her brother, and protection for herself from the mysterious figure called the Magister, the head of the organization The Pandemonium Club, who will stop at nothing to get Tessa and her powers.

Soon Tessa finds herself getting to know the occupants of the London Institute for Shadowhunters, particularly two boys around her age. Will and Jem are two of the most opposite friends you could find. Jem is level head and sweet while Will is wild and rash. Soon each one of them wheedled their way into her heart and she is experiencing butterflies in her stomach that she’s never felt before.

Soon a plot is uncovered and Tessa finds herself needing to make a choice between saving her brother and helping the Shadowhunters save the world.


I’ve been hearing about the Infernal Devices (and the Mortal Instruments) everywhere but I never had time to read any of them until now. I was debating which series I should read first so I put them both on hold at the library and Clockwork Angel was the first to come in so here we are. I really enjoyed it.

It was quite a change from what I normally read but I just loved the setting of Victorian London. I love the world of the Shadowhunters (okay, I love anything that has supernatural “Hunters” in it) and how there is a peace between them and the Downworlders. I’m almost wondering though if there wasn’t a peace who would win…hmm. I found it amusing that, while you couldn’t go to Clave meetings until you were 18, Will and Jem were out hunting and running investigations while they were still underage. I also thought it a bit odd that the Clave only seemed to be brought in for the big things and the rest was left to the Institute, which was half full of underage Shadowhunters. Another thing I like about the Downworlders (at least the vamps, demons, and faeries) is that they are plain evil. No tortured soul or wanting to do what right but they watch out for number one and their own little pets. The problems of the mundane’s (humans) are nothing to them.

I had just recently been reading about multiply third person POV’s but I can’t recall reading a book with this many. Though it felt a bit unusual at first I thought Clare did a great job of it without making the changes to chaotic. I loved the Character of Tessa. Always thinking back to her books and throwing quotes back and forth with Will was awesome! Though she’s not a fighter in the general sense she’s got strength and smarts which help her through the many trials she faces. I don’t think there was a character in this book that I didn’t like. Jem was the sweetest guy and Will, while annoying to the other characters, you can’t help but love. I wasn’t sure how the romance in this story would go cause I not really a fan of love triangles, like the summery made it out to be, but I was very satisfied how it was handled at the end. I thought there could have been a little more character development but I figured that was just one of the side effects of a third person POV. Be warned: this book has a bit of a cliffhanger and it definitely leaves you wanting more. Happy Reading!

Moral of the Story
The real world isn’t always like the books but then sometimes it is ^_^

                                                    4 out of 5 Elf Cookies

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! :) I loved the Victorian setting as well. I know what you mean about the love triangle thing, and I have to say it got on my nerves a bit in the second book, but it's still worth reading.

    ReplyDelete